Saturday, May 19, 2007

I am done reading Elizabeth Prentiss's biography called "More Love to Thee." It is interesting that both she and I share similar characteristics; we are both deeply emotional and passionate creatures. We get exhausted by people yet we are at our best when serving them. This paragraph describes our temperament well;

"Her temperament was volatile and passionate. When her mood swing was high, she could be enormously energetic and productive; she would throw herself furiously into whatever project was occupying her at the time. This would be followed by total exhaustion and cooresponding depression..."

I have often wondered what God can do with powerful emotions like mine. I feel guilty for being so emotionally unstable because I thought it was sign of spiritual immaturity. After reading Elizabeth Prentiss' biography, I see that God can use people like her to glorify his name. In this book, I can relate to many things she struggles with. When I am emtionally low it is hard to pray and I feel like I have lost God's presense. Then I turn to God and rely on His strength to get through and it draws me closer to him.

I love Elizabeth Prentiss's description of spiritual growth. It speaks directly to my feelings about my spiritual life. She writes,

"God never places us in any position in which we can not grow. We may fancy that He does. We may fear we are so impeded by fretting, petty cares that we are gaining nothing; but when we are not sending any branches upward, we may be sending roots downward. Perhaps in the time of our humiliation, when everything seems a failure, we are making the best kind of progress. God delights to try our faith by the conditions in which He places us. A plant set in the shade shows where its heart is by turning towards the sun, even when unable to reach it. We have so much to distract us in this world that we do not realize how truly and deeply, if not always warmly and consciously, we love Christ. But I believe that this love is the strongest principle in every regenerate soul. It may slumber for a time, it may freeze nearly to death; but sooner or later it will declare itself as the ruling passion."